For the Zucchini Noodle Pad Thai:
- about 2 medium zucchini
- 2 Tablespoons (30ml) olive oil (divided)
- 1/2 pound (225g) peeled and de-veined shrimp (or what ever protein you prefer)
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced thin
- 3 green onions, sliced in 1″ pieces
- 1 large egg
- about 2 cups (480ml) bean sprouts
- 1/3 cup (80ml) roasted peanuts
- cilantro (optional)
For the Sauce:
- 2 Tablespoons (30ml) rice vinegar or distilled white vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons (30ml) fish sauce (or more to taste)
- 3 Tablespoons (45ml) ketchup
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce (or more to taste)
- Make the Sauce: in a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients (vinegar, fish sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, and chili garlic sauce), set aside.
- Cut the zucchini into noodles or long pasta by using a vegetable spiralizer tool or tools mentioned in our post write up.
Heat a large pan on medium-high heat. Add one tablespoon of olive oil (reserve the other half for later). Then add zucchini noodles and cook for about 2-3 minutes or until the zucchini noodles are tender. Don’t overcook the noodles. The zucchini noodles should be slightly crunchy with a tender bite.
- Let the noodles rest for about 3 to allow all the moisture to release. Remove the noodles from the pan and drain the excess water.
- Carefully wipe the same pan remove the excess water, then re-heat the pan on medium-high heat. Add the remaining olive oil and garlic. Cook the garlic until soft and translucent, about 1 minute. Add the shrimp and cook until shrimp is tender and becomes pink, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers and green onions. Cook for about 1-2 minutes or until tender. Add the egg and stir in with the vegetables until the egg is cooked.
- Add the zucchini noodles back into the same pan, then add the sauce. Cook for about 1 more minute or until the zucchini noodles are heated through. Then stir in the bean sprouts.
- Serve the warm zucchini pad thai noodles with roasted peanuts and cilantro.