Sweet Potato, Chickpea, and Quinoa Veggie Burger
- 1 small sweet potato, baked
- 1/4 cup dry quinoa
- 1/4 cup dry barley
- 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 fresh red peppers
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake the sweet potato for 45-60 minutes or until soft.
- While the sweet potato is baking, cook the quinoa and barley in separate pots until soft, about 30-60 minutes (barley takes a little longer).
- Remove the stem and seeds from the red peppers. Cut the whole pepper in quarters and the half a pepper in half, and roast all six pieces in the oven for about 15-20 minutes.
- Once the sweet potato is baked and cooled, combine garbanzo beans, sweet potato, parsley, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt and pepper, flour, and one tablespoon oil in a food processor.
- Allow the grains to cool, and then in a separate bowl, mix the bean mixture with the quinoa and barley.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large pan on medium heat.
- Place heaping spoonful of the mixture onto the hot pan, and use the back of the spoon to pat them flat and form four-inch diameter patties.
- Brown both sides of each burger.
- Serve on a bun with one piece of the roasted pepper, sliced into thirds.
Voila! Now you can enjoy eating your burger without the guilt.